Friday, May 15, 2020

May Scan Update

On May 4, 2020, scans were done of my chest, abdomen, and pelvis.

Here are the results:

Chest--decrease size of conglomerate soft tissue involving upper mediastinum currently measuring 0.9 cm in short axis in the paratracheal region previously 1.8 cm. Significant improvement of mass effect upon the right lateral wall of the trachea.
Radiologist is pleased and says this mass should continue shrinking over the next few months.
I am relieved!

Abdomen--clear!

Pelvis--New sclerotic osseous lesion measuring 2.2 x 1.0 cm in the right sacral ala--(near my tail bone). See picture below.
My pelvis has been clear since the beginning, so this is VERY concerning. Sclerotic osseous lesions (blastic or bone-forming) are areas of hardening of the bone. Radiologist suggests a bone scan (scintigraphy test) to confirm or disprove cancer spread to the bones. Oncologist says typically lytic bone (deterioration or decrease in bone) is seen with breast cancer of the bone. It could also be healing from an injury or infection or contrast uptake in that area at the moment the scan was done, not cancer-related. All of the research I have done is not so optimistic. First: how would I have injured this area of my pelvis? Sure I moved a lot of things into my apartment and also started jogging for short distances, but this doesn't seem likely--to me at least. Second: breast cancer can start out as hardening (increase in bone) and then become lytic (decrease in bone). Cancer metastasis can also have components of both.  



With not being able to work during this Covid19 pandemic because of my compromised immune system, the stay-at-home order from my state's governor, leaving my husband, and now this "new" lesion of possible cancer spread, I must admit my world is not on solid ground. Still hopeful though.

Bone scan is scheduled for May 26th. I will give an update then.  


This was sent to me by a friend.

Fate whispers to the warrior
You cannot withstand the storm
The warrior whispers back
I am the storm

                                                                           Jake Remington

Literally my body is the storm; I won't give up until there is nothing else that can be done.


No comments:

Post a Comment